We busy little nerds of Flickr may act and smell like a bunch of psychotic monkey-bots, but beneath our filth-drenched metal exteriors beat the fleshy hearts of a thousand delicate human flowers. We feel, we love.
Ever wondered what keeps us well-oiled? I did, so I asked people, “What do you use to get the job done?”
And this, my dubious friends, is how we (rick)roll.
Aaron, Ce sera mauvais français parce que j’ai utilisé l’Internet
You’re still wrong
- Emacs (dired-mode and shell-mode and M-x goto-line)
- Glimpse (and alias grep grep -n -r -e)
- Tabs and virtual workspaces
Fuck off and die
- shitty pc laptop w/ xp pro
- twin 20″ monitors
- ff & thunderbird
- putty / pageant / plink
- msys & mingw
- paint shop pro 5
- calc & chamap
- tortoise cvs/svn
- beyond compare
- ms office w/ visio
Dan, The Rev.
I don’t do quotes
2 Machine setup;
MacBook Pro for writing code, TextWrangler (off-white Lucida Grande 11pt font on blue background, for reduced eye-strain), Safari & Opera for (final) testing.
PC for testing, with IE6,7,blah + MS Script debugger. Most testing takes place in Firefox + Firebug (cannot live without firebug). Monitor rotated 90 degrees to give Firebug more real estate for hacking around the dom, editing js script on the fly, etc.
- Pink noise generator (volume set to one notch down from default) to drown out background noise.
- Ocean Waves generator to take the edge off the pink noise.
- last.fm radio tag search “ambient” to take the edge off the pink noise and ocean waves.
- Quicksilver, to get stuff done quickly.
- Visor for quick terminal access.
- WriteRoom, for taking notes (again off-white text on a blue background).
Dunstan, He’s like, got a dog and stuff
Mistakenly included on the engineering mailing list for 505 days and counting
- Macbook Pro
- IE (in Parallels)
Eric, Teenage Mutant Ninja Scripta
Please, just work
Powerbook, BBEdit, Perl scripts to manage scp+cvs+Flex+compression, Firefox w/ Firebug and Webdev toolbar, Flex 3 SDK, Terminal, nano, Parallels.
Kellan, Rebellious off-worlder
I’d rather be building cloud castles
MBP, a hot-rodded version of Textmate, QuickSilver+Terminal.app (what’s the Finder?), Thunderbird + keyconfig for threading and archiving, SSHKeychain, grep, awk, tree, QuickProxy for Firefox (2.x), WordPress.com, last.fm, Pandora, and Adium. used to use PHPfi, but less lately.
Murphy, Secret ops mole
… –force –yes –quiet > /dev/null 2>&1
- MacBook Pro
- vim, kill, screen, awk, rsync, mtr, nmap, strace, gdb
- SSH Agent
- Thunderbird + Enigmail
- Firefox + Firebug + SwitchProxy + Nagios Checker
- Home Zone
Coming soon: more responses!